Nature Park “Ancient Valley of the Abava River”
The Valley of Abava River is one of the most expressive ancient valleys in Latvia. It has formed as a result of melting ice waters during the ice age.
The Abava River is considered to be the oldest river in Latvia. The Valley of Abava River has formed naturally and is one of the most beautiful places in Latvia. When Rainis and Aspasia lived near Tukums in 1930s they called it „The Switzerland of Courland” for a reason.
The Ancient Valley of Abava River is 2 kilometres wide and 30 metres deep. Today’s Abava River is 124 kilometres long. To preserve all this, in 1998 the Valley of Abava River was included in the List of 100 World’s Most Endangered Cultural-Historical Sites.
The Valley of Abava River comprises the historical part of Kandava, part of Kandava and Matkule City in Kandava County, Sabile, Abava and Gibuli City in Talsi County and Renda City in Kuldiga County.
The Valley of Abava comprises a whole of cultural-historical and natural heritage which has formed from 2nd millennium BC to 20th century AD: the Ancient Valley of Abava River, its cultural-historical and natural heritage sites, archaeology, architecture and art monuments, cultural-historical landscape and natural sites:
- Chambers of Mara,
- Abava Waterfall,
- Ivande Waterfall (near Renda)
- Sudmali Waterfall (in Valgale, left tributary of Abava River, approximately 0.5 kilometres above the estuary in Abava River, about 100 metres above Sudmali house),
- Imula Dolomite Cliffs (at the banks of Imula River),
- Kalnamuiza steep slopes (on the left bank of Amula River above and below Kalnamuiza Mill),
- Cuzi Sulphur Springs (the water contains 2-20 mg/l sulphur),
- Kandava City Historical Centre,
- Sabile City Historical Centre,
- Pedvale Manor Complex.
The area of Sabile is rich in deep ravines and pine forests. That is why Sabile is a perfect resting and healing place for people with lung diseases, because Sabile elevations are about 80 metres above sea level – there is no stagnant water or swamp. Peace, beautiful coniferous and deciduous forests, hills with dry air and plenty of sun can do wonders.
More information about sights in the Abava Valley: www.visit.sabile.lv, www.visitkandava.lv, www.talsitourism.lv